Shanabananablog » cooking

Shanabananablog » cooking

• By :
  • Category : Uncategorized
  • Comment : 0
Shanabananablog » cooking

Filed under Cooking on Sunday September 16, 2007 at 10:03 am

A couple of weeks ago, I watched Bobby Flay’s Throw-down on the food network. I really like that show. Bobby Flay travels around the country and competes against the local best. He went to New Orleans for a muffaletta throw-down recently. I never heard of muffaletta, but the sandwich looked amazing. It had an olive and marinated vegetable spread, cheeses and meats. It seemed perfect for a vegetarian makeover. I searched online and found a good recipe. I combined marinated mushrooms, carrots and cauliflower, artichoke hearts and olives. Then, I put the spread on a very small ciabatta loaf and added provolone, feta, tomatoes and marinated red pepper. I let it sit all day – you can let if sit overnight. Boy, was it good! I served it with homemade sweet potato french fries and watermelon. We never eat late at night, but after watching the famous World of Warcraft “South Park” and “Larry David” and playing xbox360, Tim had to have one more bite so we cut off a little more of the sandwich! I highly recommend looking up recipes for muffaletta – there are a lot of variations and I’m sure they are all good.

No comments

A Mistake NOT to Make

Filed under Cooking on Monday January 1, 2007 at 8:39 pm

I found this great looking recipe for Butternut Squash Bisque. So – I collected the ingredients and planned to make it tonight – New Year’s Day! Sadly, I misread the recipe and got apple cider vinegar, not apple cider. After boiling leeks in it for – oh – 40 minutes, my eyes started to water and our placed smelled horrible! I figured it out and Tim made a mad dash to the garbage can with the contents of the soup. Our place still smells like a mixture of vinegar, Fabreze, candles and matches!! Luckily, we have a ton of leftovers!

Filed under Cooking on Sunday October 15, 2006 at 6:06 pm

Yesterday I went to a bread making class through Sur La Table with my friend Nicole. It was very interesting. The chef over planned and we could not take any food home with us, which was a bummer. She had over 100 rolls and bowls of dough by the end of the class. It was kind of funny. I did learn a lot. I’m not sure how patient I am for big baking projects – my friend said I looked bored at times. But the chef gave us a many interesting recipes. I’m making garlic Naan as I write with homemade tomato soup. And I plan to make parker rolls for Thanksgiving. Sur La Table offers a lot of cooking courses. If you have a particular interest, I suggest you check out their website.

Anthony Bourdain

Filed under Cooking on Thursday August 17, 2006 at 9:22 am

Tim and I really like this travel/cooking show by Anthony Bourdain. He reminds me of one of the Ramones and is very funny. If you haven’t seen his show, it’s on the Travel Channel on Monday nights at 10. This Monday (8/21) he is airing an episode that they started to film in Beirut days before the bombing started. It looks very interesting and harrowing. Here is a link to his site:

Jamie Oliver

Filed under Uncategorized, Cooking on Friday May 19, 2006 at 3:35 pm

I watched a great documentary the other day. Jamie Oliver, aka the Naked Chef, started a program in England to make school lunches more healthy. He has problems with the corporation who runs the program – it’s cheaper to give kids bad food. He has problems with the kids. Some of the high school students picket him. He works with the lunch lady, who has a column on his blog, and the kids to educate them on healthy food. He shows up at school in a fish costume to drum up support.

This isn’t the first time he’s “done good” so to speak. He also started a cooking program for at risk youth to train them t0 become chefs.

He’s an edgy guy with a lot of conviction – check it out:

Filed under Cooking on Thursday January 19, 2006 at 9:40 am

My mom got me a subscription to Rachael Ray’s magazine. I like Rachael, but I’m not a big fan. Well, I was surprised – it is a really good magazine. I found a couple of great recipes and she had a fun section on specialty markets in New York. I recommend picking it up some time – you might be surprised too!